Wednesday, March 12, 2014

18 de marzo: El día del santo: San José

Every March the city where I grew up, Valencia, celebrates Las Fallas, a festivity that lasts several days with music, parades, flower offerings to the Virgen de los Desamparados (Our Lady of the Forsaken), fireworks, and the erection of huge cardboard sculptures called fallas. These bonfires provide social and political commentary and are burned on March 19th in honor of Sant Josep (San José in Spanish/Saint Joseph in English), the city's patron saint.

Las Fallas can be quite fun and noisy (because of the constant explosions of firecrackers) and the cardboard and wood structures are quite spectacular. You can learn more about this festivity by watching the video below (about 15 minutes long). 

Many people in my family are named after Saint Joseph: my grandfather (Josep), my  mom (Josefina), my sister (Josefa) and my son. Traditionally, in Spain, people used to celebrate their día del santo or "saint's day", instead of their birthday. Families would make a cake or cookies and friends would come over the house as they could and be offered a piece of cake and something to drink.

In celebration of Josep's saint's day, I thought we could cook a traditional cake made with crushed almonds, sugar, confectionery sugar, eggs, cinnamon, and lemon peel (not vegan but gluten free). This cake is called Torta de Santiago (St. Jame's cake, and yes, I have a cake named after me). To learn how to make it watch any of the two videos below (They are in Spanish but they are quite self explanatory). Pay attention to the final decoration and see if you can guess what it is, as we will talk some more about it in class.

I figured we could cook it during class and share it with group two later for lunch...¡delicioso!

See you next Tuesday!

Las Fallas de Valencia




Tarta de Santiago 1



Tarta de Santiago 2