Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Martes 25 de marzo: Pío Pío Pío, tener



On Tuesday, March 25th, we will continue our exploration of the verb TENER (to have).


Normally we use tener in Spanish the same way you would use it in English (possession, need, obligation):

Tengo un coche pequeño (I have a small car)
Tenemos que estudiar español (We have to study Spanish) 
Pedro tiene los ojos azules (Peter has blue eyes)

However, sometimes we use tener to express physical and emotional states or for some other expressions (where English speakers would use to be):

Tengo 14 años (I am 14 years old)
Tengo frío (I am cold)
¿Tienes calor? (Are you hot?)
Tengo hambre (I am hungry)
No tengo miedo (I am not afraid)
Tengo vergüenza (I am ashamed)
Ellas tienen razón (They are right)

Please study the conjugation above so we can practice these expressions in class. Also, watch the nursery rhymes below that use this verb. They are about little chicks that complain when they are hungry and cold (...cuando tienen hambre, cuando tienen frío....)  and how their mom provides for them corn and wheat (...el maíz y el trigo...) and keeps them warm. You have three very different versions to choose from! Maybe we can all dress like chickens and sing that song for our upcoming festival? I think you would look truly adorable ;)

¡Hasta el martes!